Thursday, October 23, 2008

The Most Important Meal of the Day...

Breakfast! Or so they say...it could all be a marketing scam and I would never know. I'd never know, because I wouldn't care...I LOVE breakfast. I never did understand how people could just "skip" breakfast...as if they had better things to do? Or as if they could just "forget" to eat? How do people just "forget" to eat, anyway? That's another issue, entirely, I suppose. I won't digress.

When we go out to breakfast, I'm super boring and always order the same thing: Eggs Benedict. I love it. I don't even care that there's a whole stick of butter in the sauce. It's so worth it. But when I'm the chef at home, I'm totally outnumbered and surrounded by waffle/pancake/French toast lovers. Don't get me wrong...I love these, too. It's just not my first choice. I have this rule, though, that I am not a made-to-order cook (except for Brian, of course). I feel that the girls are offered a variety each meal, and should be able to find contentment with something on their plate. This rule goes for me, too. So...since the majority of The Wiebers love the pastry-type breakfasts, that's what I generally make. Happily. Mostly, it's Liv and Brian wielding the fancy waffle maker.

Last visit to Papa Snail's house featured Papa and Liv as the in-house chefs. But when it's me, I have found this utterly divine breakfast choice that pleases most eaters, and every eater in The Wieber household:

French Toast Waffles

Yes, that's right. You CAN have French Toast and Waffles. At the same time. Breakfast will never be the same again.

Ingredients:
4 eggs
1/2 C. milk
2 T. butter, melted
1 T. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
8-10 whole wheat bread slices

Preheat waffle iron. Spray with a light coating of vegetable spray. In a shallow bowl, combine eggs, milk, melted butter, sugar, and salt. Dip bread slices, one at a time, in egg mixture. Bake in waffle iron 2-3 minutes or until brown. Top with fruit and whipped cream, or warm syrup. Also great with peanut butter! Best of all: to reheat, just pop into toaster!

This recipe was found in my Gooseberry Patch Christmas cookbook.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jen, thanks so much for all these fun recipes. I am always encouraged by your posts...you are an encouragement of a wonderful wife and great mother!
And I just want to give another shout for breakfast (my favorite meal) and especially eggs benedict! That is my fav too! When we go out to breakfast now, Don usually doesn't even ask me what I am getting...if bene's are on the menu he knows! When I was pregnant with Bennett, I was not liking eggs, but still could not pass up the best...eggs benedict.

J said...

Thanks for the agreement, Rachael. :o) Where do you usually go to get your benes? We get ours at The Trolley or Goldy's. I love it that you couldn't pass on them when you were pregnant. :o) You are loyal to the end!

David said...

I agree, breakfast is the best meal of the day. The only thing equally as good as breakfast is breakfast for dinner!

Sharon said...

Oh yeah !!!
Breakfast for dinner, now that's my favorite !!!
And ditto on Rachael's comment, keep all of the yummy, fun recipe's coming your's are always a bit hit with my family!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails