Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Mexican Pantry Soup


(notice the paper bowl? Brian's installing our countertops, so I am sinkless, for a while. He's doing such a great job! :o)

It may be Spring, but it's still Soup Season in my book, with this snow, hail, and frigidness! I call this recipe "Pantry Soup" because it was my attempt to make dinner with only a moment's notice, using what we had in the pantry, and the fridge. It is actually my first attempt at making soup without a recipe, and I am so happy with how it turned out. It was healthy, tasty, and purposeful. I despise wasted leftovers! Feel free to omit or add certain ingredients....using your own leftovers. Some other ingredients I thought would be tasty: corn, garbanzo beans, beef. OR, to make a tasty seafood stew: clam juice/clams to replace the chicken and broth; white wine to replace the beer; old bay seasoning instead of cumin).

Ingredients:
1 can 99% fat free chicken broth (or home-made stock with chicken pieces)
1 beer
1 C. water (optional...depends on how thick you like it)
1 7 oz. can of diced chiles
A can or less of diced tomatoes (I used part of the can the day before on our pizza)
1/2 can or so of black beans
1 C. cooked rice
1 can of shredded chicken (or 1 chicken breast cooked and diced)
1 tsp cumin
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
Place all ingredients into a pot and bring to boil. Simmer for 20 minutes or so. Garnish with any combination of the following: cilantro, tabasco, crackers/tortillas, sour cream.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails