Wednesday, March 18, 2009

In All Things

The quote below gave me great encouragement when I stumbled upon it this week. What would my day look like, how would my loved ones feel, what kind of music would be playing from my heart if I genuinely sought to glorify God in all things I did each day? Wherever we are...whatever we are doing...whatever our circumstance--we can give it our whole heart and God will use it to glorify Him. And the best part is: He doesn't demand perfection. Only obedience.

This quote took me to a different time because of his examples straight from the 18th century. God was with them then, and he is with us now.

It is not only prayer that gives God glory but work. Smiting on an anvil, sawing a beam, whitewashing a wall, driving horses, sweeping, scouring, everything gives God glory if being in his grace you do it as your duty. To go to Communion worthily gives God great glory, but to take food in thankfulness and temperance gives him glory too. To lift up the hands in prayer gives God glory, but a man with a dungfork in his hand, a woman with a slop pail, gives him glory, too. He is so great that all things give him glory if you mean they should.

Gerard Manley Hopkins (1844-1889)


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That reminds me of a relevant verse that the kids memorized a few weeks ago:

1 Corinthians 10:31:

So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.

You guys are in our prayers :)

Greg

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails