Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Great Grandma Gertrude's Poppys

When my Grandma passed away several years ago, I inherited her collection of poppy seeds. Actually, I inherited my Great-Grandma Gertrude Lulu's poppy seeds that my Grandma had kept and planted and whose seeds she harvested again and again. These special poppy seeds are so called...because they are at least 50 years old, and apparently, from what I understand, different from poppy seeds sold these days.

No, we will not be naming our next daughter after her....though her name does have a certain charm to it. :o)

But back to the poppy seeds--I have always had a hard time using something special. I keep it, and keep it, and keep it....for just the right time or occasion. A year or so ago, I started changing my philosophy about using special things. After all, there's no time like right now! I decided to embrace today and live for now. Not in the future. Not in the past. True contentment comes when we can rejoice in what life is, and not what it could be or should be.



Philippians 4:12

Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need.


I have always been amazed at Paul's words above. Could I honestly say what he did about contentment? Could you? When he wrote those words, he was in prison, facing execution! Life was not easy for him, yet he insisted on keeping His eyes on God. It is important to remember that he did not do this on his own. God was his strength.

Well, as you can see from the pictures below, I finally got around to planting Great Grandma Gertrude's poppy seeds and I am so glad I did! What a beautiful sight they are for my eyes. I am enjoying their fairness every day.




3 comments:

Gabrielle said...

Simply beautiful!! I hope to see you soon!

Unknown said...

They ARE beautiful. Poppies and peonies are awesome this time of year.

Bravo on the philosophy change. I heard a story about once that helps me do the same thing. Praise God for today!

madcap mama said...

I love what you said about enjoying what life is & not what it could or should be...so something I needed to be reminded of. Thanks for sharing. I have enjoyed looking through your posts and the pics!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails