Thursday, November 6, 2008

William Wordsworth

For years I've been captivated by the poetic meanderings of William Wordsworth. I think it may have started several years ago when I watched the movie, "Splendor in the Grass."
What though the radiance
which was once so bright
Be now for ever taken from my sight,
Though nothing can bring back the hour
Of splendour in the grass,
of glory in the flower,
We will grieve not, rather find
Strength in what remains behind;
In the primal sympathy
Which having been must ever be;
In the soothing thoughts that spring
Out of human suffering;
In the faith that looks through death,
In years that bring the philosophic mind.

-- William Wordsworth
It is named after one of Wordworth's famous poems. His words often leave you silenced at the end. His words flow effortlessly and resound in the heart. I usually find myself dissecting his poetry and finding my favorite stanzas or lines.

For instance:

“My heart leaps up when I behold A rainbow in the sky.”


These words remind me of our sweet Holland. Holland sees the world through beautifully colored glasses. In fact, one of her daily chores is to make sure all the shoes are lined up at the front door. She does this without fail, every day, in the shape of a rainbow. This really makes her happy and she can't wait to show me the "rainbow" she has created each day.



Also, Below are some of Holland's thoughts, spoken aloud. Her words never fail to make us smile. She is a giggly, charming, artistic little thing and we are so happy God gifted her to us!

Mom! Who painted our tree? (our tree's leaves had changed color).

Look, the moon is broken! I bet God will fix it. (when noticing a crescent moon)

My feet are dancing! I can't help it! (while listening to music)

God loves me. He paints the sky pink every night.

Mom! Look at my big rainbow! (showing me her rainbow shaped creation using our shoes by the front door).

Another that reminds me of Holland:

"Fluttering and dancing in the breeze".

Every morning, first thing, Holland asks if she can dance with me.

(contented sigh) I love being a mom!!!



I really like this picture of my friend Chelsea and her daughter, Mary. I think this line of Wordworth's captures it perfectly:

“Wisdom is oftentimes nearer when we stoop than when we soar.”

You can bet, by observing this picture, that a lot of learning was taking place on Mary's part :o). I love it that Chelsea got down to look Mary in the eyes and talk quietly with her. Wisdom. Love. Teaching.... Captured. This reminds me to have patience and love while serving. To be a servant, I believe, is God's highest calling. And in being so, we are definitely not promised glamor or riches. But the eternal benefit is priceless. We have so many opportunities to serve others in this life. And many of those opportunities do not require that we even leave our front door!

And me....this is my personal favorite:

"Fill the paper with the breathings of your heart."

So, I did.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails