Thursday, January 13, 2011

Fresh Mind



She sits in still water and it's supposed to preserve her and keep her.
Or so the child says.

And she looks at me as I slice peppers and when I rinse fork.
This oddity has become a fixture on my sill--

Sharing space with sprouting beans and leafy basil
warmed by Winter's bright sunlight.

Feet patter through and she sits forgotten
day is gone, and then another.

Until aged water becomes stagnant
and jar hides in plain view with complacency.

A brightly packaged novelty is now familiar
and eyes pass by but no longer see

And sometimes I know I do that as I
mother and wife. Taking for granted

splendor and delight and wonderment.
And not really "seeing" the gifts before me.

It's time to dump old water and see with fresh mind
and renewed heart, filling hearts to the brim.

4 comments:

Brian Miller said...

oh that our eyes might capture those little bits of splendor in our days...

-t- said...

"It's time to dump old water and see with fresh mind
and renewed heart, filling hearts to the brim."

i whisper a resounding, 'yes!'
and i thank you for the gentle reminder

Katie said...

love it. so. much.

Mommy Emily said...

this is so well written, jen. i just wanted to keep reading. please don't stop.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails