Friday, December 12, 2008

Healthy Crockpot Soup

I have very few soups that I love to make and my favorites all happen to be cream-based. This is unfortunate, as I have to stay pretty clear of milk most days, so I don't make them very often. I haven't been able to find a healthy soup I really love. Finally, though, I have found one! And the bonus is that it's super easy and quick to make. It also features my most favorite vegetable of all: Green Chiles, or Pablano Peppers. This is not a spicy soup, though you can make it so by choosing hot chiles instead of mild. Brian spiced his portion with his usual half cup of Tabasco. I added some cilantro to my soup as a garnish. And the ultimate test: The girls even liked it! This was found in my Southern Living: Our Best Easy Weeknight Favorites Cookbook.

Green Chile Soup
1-1/2 lbs skinned and boned chicken breast halves, cut into 1-inch cubes
3 (4.5) cans chopped green chiles, undrained
1 (15 oz.) can pinto beans, undrained
1 (14.5 oz.) can stewed tomatoes, undrained
2 C. water
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. ground cumin
1/4 tsp. dried oregano
1 large onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed

Toppings: sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese, chopped avocado, sliced green onions.

Place first 10 ingredients in your slow cooker. Cover and cook on HIGH 4-6 hours, or LOW 8 hours. Serve soup with desired toppings. Yield: 10 cups.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails